Monday, June 22, 2009

Flyin' away

Today we dropped Mike off at work. Only instead of going back to get him in 8, 9, or 10 hours we aren't supposed to pick him up until July 28. I know it's not long (as far as deployments go) but I think it's the lack of notice and mental preparation that made it a difficult whirlwind. It didn't seem real, and it doesn't still. I think over the next couple days it will sink in....

But, here are some pictures of the ship he'll be living on. He didn't sail off on the ship, he flew after the ship. The ship sailed away and he followed about an hour later. But, I wanted pictures of the ship so when he took his stuff to his room over the weekend he obliged me.
Seriously good lookin guy.




I know the kids don't get it. Late this afternoon we were at the pool and 3 helicopters flew over in formation. I can only assume they were Mike's squadron going to join the ship. Emma and Andrew recognized the Seahawk right away and were frantically waving goodbye to daddy. Emma announced "there goes daddy on his way to Africa." Then I thought, maybe she gets it.

20 minutes later when I told the kids it was time to go she said "we have to go pick up daddy from work." Not so much....maybe she doesn't get it.

Yesterday Emma asked me "what is daddy going to take on his trip?" I said "Well he's going to take his helicopter and sleeping bag, and..." She interupts me to say "and his safari hat!"

I had to explain that while he WAS going to Africa he wouldn't be going on a safari. But, I was SURE that if he ever did go on a safari he would certainly take her with him.

She said "yes, and I would wear my safari hat."

Ahhh, to be three.

2 comments:

Mollie Lawrence said...

ahhh to be three:)

Tonia said...

I love Emma's perspective, it sounds like she still just lives in her own little world - so sweet! Good luck with everything!