Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Just so you know

The stomach flu didn't kill us. There were a few moments I saw myself sitting beside a hospital bed with both my kids, all alone while they were pumped full of fluid because there were hours when the fluid just kept flowing OUT of them.

BUT, we made it. Many many rolls of toilet paper, sheet changes, clothes changes, hand washings, episodes of Wonder Pets, and more than a few prayers later we made it.
The little faces around here are almost back to their normal level of brightness. Although, the kiddies are starting to be impatient about when that darn daddy is coming home from his trip to Maine. By the way Mike is at SERE school this week and next. Want to know what SERE stands for? Survival, Evasion, Resistence and Escape training. It sounds more plesant than it is. Next week they will have to survive in the wilderness of Maine (as if they had crashed behind enemy lines) and if they are captured they will be taken prisoner of war and learn how to survive that. Just in case you're ever wondering if Mike loves his country- he does. He is willing to freeze his tail off in the woods with no sleeping bag, eat whatever he can find for however long he makes it and then is prepared to be trained in the ways of resisting his urges to tell a capture anything they want to know- even when they do awful things to him. I feel badly about the whole thing. BUT, I have a respect for him as a citizen of this country not many people deserve. He wears an American Flag on the chest of his flight suit because he loves it, not becaust patriotism is cool.
We're going to Philadelphia tomorrow to see our peeps there and shake things up a little so the kids stop looking out the window and asking about him. (Saddest thing ever by the way). Next week when they can't even talk to him on the phone is going to be hard for them. That 6-9 month thing is going to rock for them.


Enjoying another round with Starfall.com


Waiting patiently until mom says we can "do letters" again. I'll lay here all day if I have to mom. (He wasn't crying or anything....he just laid there for a long time- having the flu zaps you of all your mischief making energy)


If you're in need of any warm fuzzies- watch this video. It's 7 minutes long but worth your time, trust me. You'll get the warm fuzzies.

And, if you need a laugh- here's our story of the week. I was watching A Baby Story the other day during naptime while I folded laundry (oh so much laundry this week). Emma came out with about 5 minutes left of the show so I decided to keep watching it. It's a birth, it's natural- no problem. So, the baby is born and all gooey and red and such. Emma starts giggling and says "what's that baby doing?" Curious as to how in the world she was interpreting this I asked "What IS that baby doing?" She said "did that silly baby get spaghetti sauce all over her?" I thought about explaining then thought- naw she's 3. "Yep" I said "sure looks like it doesn't it."

Good times.

4 comments:

Alison said...

I had JUST watched that Susan Boyle video and was in tears over it! Stunning!

I have said before and I will say again there is NOTHING worse than kids with a stomach flu. NOTHING.

My little brother just deployed to Iraq. He is in the reserves and volunteered to go, because like Mike, he really loves this country. Thank goodness for good people like them!

Tonia said...

That spaghetti sauce comment cracked me up, so cute! Andrew looks awful in that first pic, poor kid! I'm sad we aren't able to hang out while Mike is gone but we should definitely figure something out before we leave the mainland! Good luck this week and next!

Brittany said...

Aww I am glad you all are feeling a better! It doesn't sound very fun and especially because daddy is gone.We are thinking about gong into the armed forces...THe spaghetti sauce was very creative I can't wait till mine can talk!

Adriane said...

I'm glad that the kids are feeling better! Why do these things always happen when our husbands are away? We're thinking of Mike and I hope the time flies for you!!