Sunday, October 12, 2008

Flashback Sunday


Yes, I know I forgot flashback Friday, mom. I have no idea what day it is. We went to church today so I know it was Sunday....but other than that the days have been all jumbled for about 2 weeks now. I'll try and be better, I promise.

The drive up here inspired us to talk about all of our moving....it may not seem like a lot to some of my readers but we haven't been married 6 years yet...and it feels like a lot of moves in under 6 years.

When we were first married we drove across the country to live in Arizona. We made the drive in 2 1/2 days which was pretty killer. The second day we drove from 100 miles east of Memphis, TN to Albuquerque, NM. I'll never forget as we came down the hill and could see Albuquerque in the valley below and we had been driving over 19 hours I started hysterically laughing and almost crying. Mike was asleep next to me and woke up to see me barely able to control the car I was so giddy with the prospect of stopping for the night. He said "I better wake up so I can make sure you don't drive us off this mountain." We stopped at a hotel and I have never slept better. Ever.
In Arizona we moved 4 times before we settled into our 1 bedroom apartment. It was a pretty posh place and we can't believe we only paid $640 in rent there....especially since in less than 6 years we've more than doubled what we're paying in rent....holy cow! And, not in a nearly as snazzy a place.
Anyway, about a year later we moved back to Philadelphia and quickly to South Jersey. We heart South Jersey. We moved once while we were in South Jersey and the picture above is us on the first night in our new apartment....Echelon Glen. Emma was about 6 weeks old (still in hospital) and we were so excited to get it all set up for her. We lived on the third floor which sounds kind of crazy now, but we liked it. Moving was so easy then. Even if I was conveniently at the hospital vising with my baby while all the hard moving onto the third floor was taking place....I didn't plan it, it just happened that way.
From New Jersey we moved to Pensacola and a year later 25 miles north to Milton....which led us to here.
That's quite a few moves, right? Here's our favorite moving quick facts:
-Emma has lived in 3 states, and she's not even 3!
-We have two kids in born in two different states....obviously not unusual for a family with a military daddy but unusual for me since in my family there are 7 of us and 4 of us were born in the same hospital!
-We have moved across the country with only what could fit in our car....twice.
-Mike has filmed scenery in many many states
-I have teased him about doing so in many many states

2 comments:

Tonia said...

You've moved across the country with only what you could fit in your car twice?!? That's pretty impressive. Even the first time we moved 3 months after we were married we required a big u-haul to get all of our stuff from Utah to Florida. You guys have done well accumulating (and I'm sure everything you own was at an all time low bargain price)!

Anonymous said...

its ok sweety just giving you a hard time, But I do love love flash back friday.