Sunday, August 31, 2008

Getting ready....


We're not in the "cone" for Gustav's hit anymore...but that doesn't stop me from worrying at the last minute he'll take a sharp turn and head straight for us....here's what makes that awesome: Mike's not home for 5 days! He had to help evacuate all the helicopters (well, I guess he only had to evacuate one of them) so they flew to just north of Memphis until Thursday. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. We went back and forth about what to do and I thought I'd take the kids up to Memphis for 5 days, but then decided since we're not in the "cone" that would just be a waste of money since a hotel room, food and entertainment outside the hotel room for 5 days, not to mention gas to Memphis and back wouldn't come cheap....so I'm staying here with the kiddies. We should be experiencing our first tropical storm conditions by this time tomorrow...and the most I can hope for is that we keep our electricity....because well, it's Florida at the end of summer. I can hack heat, but the humidity that goes with it is just silly sometimes. I need the A/C. And, my son without any body fat can't lose much water weight because of sweating. We've got all our supplies just in case we do lose electricity including a lesson in how to use our Coleman stove. I'm a perfectly capable girl, but lets hope I don't have to use that. We've got a battery powered fan, and lots of batteries, water, snacks, portable DVD player all charged up, gas, flashlights and a big fat prayer we don't need any of them. I spent the better part of yesterday making comments like "stupid navy with their stupid helicopters making my husband leave me all alone!" After about 100 rounds of that Mike accused me of having a bad attitude (which I did) so I decided to stop being bitter and try to think of something positive about being alone.....I'm still working on that.
All I've come up with so far is that after taking a month or so off of being weight loss obsessed. I've neither gained nor lost any I'm going to take the next couple of days to recharge my obsession battery. And, since I won't have Mike here to cook for I'm going to eat Lean Cuisines while he is gone. I also got myself a splurge at the commissary to keep me company while he's gone: Lemon Propel Water. Of course he's been gone 2 hours and I've already drank 4 of them so I don't see the 6 pack lasting very long.
My other solace is that he didn't want to go. He left sadly to do what he didn't have a choice about. Some of the guys were actually excited to go away for 5 days to "live it up" in Memphis. At least I know my husband would rather be with us...which is good because we'd rather have him with us. He was so sweet writing down phone numbers I might need....getting everything he could think of ready for me. Of course I told him I could do it all myself but it made him feel like he was doing something for his family to get us ready.
So....until Thursday we'll be here. Emma will be ready to look out the window for daddy, Andrew will be carrying his flip flops around ready to give them to daddy, and I will be missing a most essential part of my existence: my Mike. I

Fly safe, baby. We love you.

3 comments:

Mollie Lawrence said...

I'd need alot of something for "anti-anxiety"! Can't believe you are staying sister! Thought you were already in Memphis!
I can NOT imagine doing something like this alone, and know he's NOT doing something safe! You are one strong sister! Love YA! Can't wait to see you! One month and counting!

Mike and Adrianne said...

Good luck! We are predicted to get a ton of rain and tornados. Hopefully it won't come to that. We do however, have Mike with us. This past winter we had a really bad ice storm, knocking out our power and heat for four days. It was miseralby cold and dark. Mike was in Guam for a month so I was on my own with the two boys and pregnant. It was awful. So, I hope you don't have to be alone with terrible weather. We will be thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

I hope you weathered the outer bands of Gustave. It took a hurricane for me to figure out how close you really are to LA (I know stupid). I'd rather -30F weather any day... I've thought of you a lot in the last couple of days.