Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Big Sister

I had been taking care of Madison and Jordan for more than 2 years when Sylvie was born so I was already pretty embedded into their family life. After Mike and I were married we lived in Arizona for a year but when we moved back to Philadelphia I was SO grateful to have my job back with this family! It was like getting paid to have so much fun! I loved taking care of them....and I spent a lot of time with Sylvie. Mdison and Jordan were at school so we had a lot of fun together. When I got pregnant Sylvie was CONVINCED the baby was her little sister. She would talk all about her little sister all the time and all the things she was going to teach Emma to do. When Emma was born early it really sent her for a loop. We kept telling Sylvie "not til February, not til February." Well, Emma was born the day before Thanksgiving and when Sylvie (and the rest of the family) came to visit me in the hospital the day after Thanksgiving she bust into the room and said "Brooke, Emma already came out of your belly and it's not even February!" I said "I know!" She was standing right next to me at this point and asked "how'd she get out?" I was at that moment thankful for my C-section and told her the doctors cut a hole in my belly and took her out. She asked if she could see it...I showed her and then she said "so, why's your belly still puffy?" That still makes me laugh. Well for the next 8 weeks Sylvie was proud to give updates about her "baby sister" that had been born early and was still in a special part of the hospital where no kids were allowed. She was SO excited to meet Emma. Here's what that looked like:
I can't believe it's been almost 6 years since Sylvie was born....and she was so good to Emma (and Andrew) on our trip. She shared ALL her toys, and even had a pile of toys to give them and a big pile of books. She read to them, shared her Webkinz, shared her room, let Emma have a turn playing Wii Fit, showed Emma how to play pool with her hands, and even let them watch Wonder Pets when she maybe would have rather watched Sponge Bob. By the end of the trip Emma was following her around like a REAL little sister and Sylvie was still being great to her....
This is my favorite shot of them walking to the playground at Linvilla Orchards. My baby girl and her big sister.

4 comments:

Erin said...

That's a cute story. It sounds like you had a great trip. Kids don't even realize how much history they have even before they are born... like Emma's song and "Big" sister. Thanks for sharing.

Alison said...

That's so sweet. I'm glad you guys had such a great trip. As a side note..isn't the Wii Fit great?!

Alison said...

So precious. My girls still talk about Sylvie. When they see your picture on the blog they say, "There's Sylvie's babysitter!"

Anonymous said...

Awwww...these kinds of reflections make me feel so happy and so pensive all at the same time. Happy because it's all just so sweet and we have been so lucky to have you all in our lives for so long (who would ever have thought all those years ago?). And pensive because I wish we had more time together but I know there will be more great memories to make in the future - love you all!